Monday, November 10, 2008

Let the Cooking Begin! (Batch Cooking)

Tomorrow morning I am going to the store to buy supplies to cook for my freezer.
A lot of people like to do what is called Once a Month Cooking.
I have never done that really, I just double or triple our usual meals and freeze family meal sized portions for later.
It's so nice to be able to pull out a whole family meal from the freezer when I'm not in the mood to cook or my schedule is too busy to spend hours in the kitchen.

Today, I pulled out a smoked pork loin.
Threw it in the microwave.
Made some mashed potatoes & Green beans.
And we had a wonderful dinner!
It takes all day to smoke a pork loin.
And it's no more work to smoke three or four at a time than it is to smoke one.

So we ate one when I cooked em, and vacuum sealed the others with some of it's juices for later. It was perfect!

Over the next few days I plan to make a few meals for the freezer...

Bacon Wrapped stuffed chicken breasts. (24 of em!)
Worlds Best Italian Meatballs. (great for lots of uses later!)
Lil' cheddar meatloaves. (16 individual sized meatloaves)
2 Chicken Enchilada casseroles
2 King Ranch Chicken casseroles
2 Ravioli Lasagnas
Spinach & Sausage Stuffed Shells (30 of them)
2 Perogy Lasagnas

I'll post the recipes and freezing tips for each as I go.
Cross your fingers and lets get ready to cook and fill those freezers!!!

No comments: